Basic dough for pizza, focaccia or calzones
Choose your favourite topping or filling!
Makes about 2¼ pounds (2.5 L) of dough
- 375 ml (1½ cups) warm (105-110°F [40°- 45°C]) water
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 5 ml (1 teaspoons) honey
- 1-1.15 L (4 to 4½ cups) bread flour, divided
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) kosher or sea salt
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil, oil for the bowl
- Place water, yeast and honey in Cuisinart™ mixing bowl and stir to blend. Let stand for 5 minutes, to proof until the mixture is foamy and bubbly. In a medium bowl, combine 4 cups (1 L) of the flour with the salt. Reserve the additional ½ cup (125 ml) of flour.
- Insert the dough hook. Add the olive oil and the 3½ cups (875 ml) flour/salt mixture to the yeast mixture. Mix on speed 2 and mix for 2 minutes. Continuing on speed 2 add the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time until a dough ball forms that clings to the dough hook and cleans the side of the bowl. Set the timer for 4 minutes and the speed to 3 to allow the dough th knead. Set the timer for 4 minutes and the speed to 3. Transfer the dough to a large bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil. Turn to coat and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough to deflate and let rest for 10 minutes. If time permits, allow dough to rise a second time for a more developed flavour and texture. Use for your favourite pizza, focaccia or calzones.
- Dough can be made a day ahead. Place in a resealable bag and refrigerate. When ready to prepare, punch down dough and allow it to come to room temperature before continuing.