Black Bean Veggie Burger
Packed with protein and studded with colourful, vitamin-rich veggies, this burger will be a hit among meat and non-meat eaters alike. A Cuisinart Food Processor will make the prep quick, but it can easily be prepared by hand.
Plate Side: Griddle
Griddler Cooking Position: Open and flat
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil, plus more to brush plates
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ medium to large onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt, divided
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces [425 g]) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped, plus 1 teaspoon (5 ml) adobo sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) water, divided (this is approximate, you may not need the entire amount)
- 1 cup (250 ml) cooked quinoa
- ½ cup (125 ml) diced carrot
- ½ cup (125 ml) diced zucchini
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, sliced
1. Put the oil in a medium sauté pan set over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic, onion and ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) of salt and pepper. Sauté until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the black beans, chipotle and sauce, and enough water to keep the pan from being dry. Cook until beans are soft enough where they can be easily mashed, about 10 minutes, adding additional water as needed to prevent the pan from going dry.
2. Once beans are soft, add the remaining salt, quinoa, carrot and zucchini. Add additional water, about 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 ml), stir, partially cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook until vegetables are just slightly cooked, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer mixture to a Cuisinart Food Processor fitted with the chopping blade. Add the cilantro and pulse 4 to 5 times to slightly mash the mixture.
4. Turn on the Cuisinart Griddler. Select Griddle and set to 375ºF (190°C).
5. While Griddler is heating, form burger mixture into 1/ 3-cup (75 ml) patties (the mixture may be too warm to handle. If that is the case, then allow to rest until slightly cooled).
6. Once preheated, brush the plates with additional oil and put the prepared patties onto the hot, oiled griddle. Select the count-up timer and cook 3 minutes per side. Brush the tops with additional oil and allow to cook until bottoms are golden brown and the burger is just getting firm, about 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully flip and cook on the other side for another 3 to 4 minutes.
7. To serve, put on a bun and top with sliced avocado. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per burger: Calories 236 (25% from fat) • carb. 36g • pro. 8g • fat 7g sat. fat 1g • chol. 0mg • sod. 410mg • calc. 87mg fiber 5g