Roasted Red Pepper Soup
This soup is delicious either hot or chilled – your choice!
Makes about 5 cups (1.25 L)
- ½ tablespoon (7 mL) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 shallots, cut into½-inch (1.25 cm) pieces
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- 4 roasted red bell peppers, seeded (may used jarred, or home made) and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sherry
- 2½ cups (625 mL) chicken broth, low sodium
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) kosher or sea salt
- 1 to 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) orange zest
- Put the olive oil to the blender jar. Set timer for 15 minutes and temperature on Medium. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, shallots and thyme. Cover blender jar and stir, using quick bursts to break up. Continue stirring occasionally as mixture sautés.
- Put the roasted peppers and all of the remaining ingredients into the blender jar. Set timer for 5 to 8 minutes and tempera-ture on High. Once mixture comes to a boil, set timer for 30 minutes and temperature on Medium.
- Once time expires, start blending on speed 1 and gradually raising to speed 3 for 1 minute, or until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup[250 mL]):
Calories 59 (25% from fat) • carb. 9g • pro. 2g • fat 2g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 0mg • sod. 516mg • calc. 12mg • fiber 3g
This recipe was prepared using the following Cuisinart® products: Blend and Cook Soup & Beverage Maker (SBC-1000C)