Cranberry Orange Bread
Apples make this bread very moist for a breakfast treat, slice and toast.
Makes 1 loaf (14 slices)
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, shells removed
- 3 strips orange zest, bitter white pith removed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 small apple (about 5 ounces total), peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Reserve. Insert metal blade and pulse to coarsely chop pecans, about 6 times. Remove and reserve.
- Process orange zest and sugar until zest is finely chopped, about 45 seconds. Add apple, egg and vanilla; process until combined, about 15 to 20 seconds. With machine running, add butter and buttermilk through the small feed tube. Process until combined, about 10 to 15 seconds. Scrape the work bowl. Add cranberries, pecans and dry ingredients. Pulse until flour is just mixed in, about 5 to 6 times. Do not overprocess.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely. For best results, wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 24 hours before slicing.
Nutritional analysis per slice:
Calories 172 (43% from fat) carb. 21g pro. 2g fat 8g sat. fat 3g chol. 24mg sod. 51mg fiber 1g
Preparation: 10 15 minutes, 2 hours to bake and cool