This bread is excellent for sandwiches and makes a delicious accompaniment to hearty soups.
Makes 15 servings (one 2 pound [900g] loaf)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm water (105° - 115°F [40° - 46°C])
- 4 ounces (110g) extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4-1/2 cups (950ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) unsalted butter,in 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons (7ml) salt
- 1 cup (250ml) fat-free milk
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- In a 2-cup (500ml) liquid measure, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Insert medium shredding disc and shred cheese. Leave in work bowl. Remove shredding disc and insert dough blade. Add flour, butter and salt; process to combine, about 20 seconds. Add milk to yeast mixture. With machine running on dough speed, pour milk mixture through small feed tube as fast as the flour will absorb it and process until dough cleans the sides of the work bowl. Then process for 45 seconds to knead dough. Place dough in a lightly floured plastic food storage bag and seal top. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1to 1-1/2 hours.
- Spray one 9 x 5-inch (22 x 12cm) loaf pan with vegetable oil cooking spray. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and punch down. Roll dough into a 9 x 5-inch (22 x 12cm) rectangle.Beginning with short end, roll up the dough jelly roll fashion. Pinch the seam and ends tightly to seal. Place in greased loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap coated with vegetable oil cooking spray. Let rise for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake until top is well browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 35 - 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 193 (23% from fat) • carbo. 30g • pro. 7g • fat 5gsat. fat 3g • chol. 14mg • sod. 289mg • fiber 1g
Preparation: 10 - 15 minutes, plus 2-1/4 hours rising, 40 minutes baking, and 1 hour or longer cooling.