If you have leftovers, our Challah Braid slices make the best French toast.
Makes 18 servings (one 2-pound [900g] loaf)
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) sugar, divided
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (50ml) warm water (105° - 115°F[40° - 46°C])
- 4-1/3 cups (980g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) salt
- 2/3 cup (150ml) cold water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) water
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- In a 2-cup (500ml) liquid measure, dissolve 2 teaspoons (10ml) sugar and yeast in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Insert the dough blade in the work bowl and add flour, remaining sugar and salt. Pulse on dough speed to combine, about 2 - 3 times.
- Add cold water, melted butter and 1 egg to yeast mixture. With machine running on dough speed, add liquid through small feed tube in a steady stream as fast as the flour will absorb it.Once dough forms a ball, continue processing for 45 seconds to knead dough. Place dough in a floured plastic food storage bag and seal. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size,about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and punch down; let rest 5 - 10 minutes. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Use your hands to roll each piece into a cylinder about 1-1/2 x 18inches (4 x 45cm). Place the cylinders side by side on a baking sheet coated with vegetable oil cooking spray. Braid loosely from one end. Gently pull and taper each end to a point, then pinch and tuck under loaf. Cover with plastic wrap coated with vegetable oil cooking spray and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) 15 minutes before baking.
- Beat egg with water and brush over braid. Bake in lower third of preheated oven for 20 minutes. Lower temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake until loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped, about 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 174 (31% from fat) • carbo. 26g • pro. 4g • fat 6gsat. fat 3g • chol. 37mg • sod. 267mg • fiber 1g
Preparation: 15 - 20 minutes, plus 2-1/2 hours rising and resting, 30 minutes baking and 1 hour or longer cooling.