Apple Walnut Waffles
Stir a teaspoon of cinnamon into maple syrup and warm to serve with Apple Walnut Waffles.
Makes 24 waffles
- ½ cup (125 ml) plus 1 tablespoon (15 ml) packed brown sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (175 ml) whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup (175 ml) honey toasted wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (7 ml) salt
- 4½ cups (1.125 L) lowfat milk
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons (7 ml) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750 ml) finely diced or shredded apple [1 apple, 8 ounces (226 grams), peeled and cored]
- 1½ cups (375 ml) finely chopped walnuts
- Crumble the brown sugar to remove all lumps and place in a medium mixing bowl with the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Combine the milk, oil and eggs; stir until blended and smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth. Stir in the chopped pecans. Let batter rest 5 minutes before using. Preheat your Cuisinart® Waffle Iron on setting #3.
- When preheated, green indicator light will illuminate. Pour 2 cups (500 mL) batter along the centre of the lower grid; spread batter using a heatproof spatula to within ½ inch (1 cm) of the edge of the grid. Close lid of waffle iron – green indicator light will turn off. When green indicator light turns on again, waffle is ready. Open lid and carefully remove baked waffle. Repeat with remaining batter. For best results, serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per waffle:
Calories 283 (55% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 6g • fat 18g • sat fat 2g • chol. 46mg • sod. 277mg • calc. 71 mg • fiber 2g