Black and White Pinwheels
Plan ahead for these attractive special-occasion cookies, as the dough needs to chill overnight.
Makes about 42 cookies
- 750 ml (3 cups) unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 ml (½ teaspoon) baking powder
- 2 ml (½ teaspoon) salt
- 43 g (1½ ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 250 ml (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 375 ml (1½ cups) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) pure vanilla extract
- Place flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Reserve. Melt unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler over lightly simmering water.
- Place butter in the Cuisinart™ mixing bowl. Insert the flat mixing paddle. Turn to speed 2 for 10 seconds and then increase to speed 4 for an additional 10 seconds to cream the butter. Scrape the paddle and bowl well. Turn to speed 2 and add the sugar. Once all the sugar is added, increase the speed to 4 and mix until fluffy, another 20 to 25 seconds. Scrape the paddle and bowl well. Turn speed to 2 and add the eggs, one at a time, increasing speed to 4 for about 10 seconds after each egg is added to fully incorporate (turn speed down to 2 before adding next egg). Add the vanilla. With the stand mixer running on speed 1, add dry ingredients in 2 to 3 additions. Once all the dry ingredients have been added, increase speed to 3 for about 10 seconds until the mixture is completely homogenous.
- Remove dough and divide in half. Place one half back in the mixing bowl. Turn to speed 3 and pour in the melted chocolate. Mix until the chocolate is completely incorporated into the dough, about 45 seconds.
- Divide both doughs in half again and press into flat squares approximately 5½”x5½” (14 x 14 cm). Wrap in plastic and refrigerate to chill for about an hour.
- When dough is adequately chilled, roll each out into a large rectangle about 1/8” (0.3 cm) thick onto sheets of lightly floured waxed paper (rectangle should be approximately 16”x12” [41 x 30 cm]). Carefully turn out the chocolate dough rectangle directly on top of the white dough rectangle. Using the wax paper as a guide, roll the two doughs together tightly, jelly-roll style. Wrap the roll in plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place cookie log onto a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut the log into ¼” (0.6 cm) slices. Arrange cookies on lined cookie sheets. Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes, turning baking sheet halfway, until cookies are lightly golden on the edges. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. Once cool store in an airtight container.