Buttery dinner rolls
The classic dinner roll we all remember from Sunday or holiday dinners.
Makes 16 dinner rolls
- 175 ml (¾ cups) whole milk
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsalted butter (cut into 8 pieces)
- 50 ml (¼ cup) granulated sugar
- 5 ml (1 teaspoons) salt
- 50 ml (¼ cup) warm (105-110°F [40 - 45°C]) water
- 11.25 ml (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 966 ml - 1L (4½ to 4¾ cups) bread flour (measure out 1 cup [250 ml] and reserve)
- 15 ml (1 tablespoons) whole milk
- 15 ml (1 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Scald the milk (heat until just bubbling around edges – may be done in microwave). Stir in the unsalted butter, sugar, and salt. Let cool until just warm (105-110°F [40-45°C]).
- Place warm water and yeast in Cuisinart™ mixing bowl with a pinch of the flour. Insert the dough hook and press Fold 2 to 3 times to mix. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the cooled milk mixture, eggs and 3¼ cups (800 ml) of the flour. Mix on speed 2 for 2 minutes.
- Continuing on speed 2, add the remaining flour 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time until a loose dough ball forms that clings to the dough hook and cleans the sides of the bowl. Set the timer for 4 minutes and the speed to 3 to allow the dough to knead. Transfer to a medium-large bowl and cover with plastic wrap (may also be put into a 1-gallon (3.6 L) resealable food storage bag). Place in a warm, draft-free place and let rise until doubled, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly butter a 10-inch (25 cm) round baking pan. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces (each about 2¼ ounces [65 g]). Roll into balls and arrange in the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until about doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes. Combine the remaining milk and butter, and heat until butter is melted. Just before baking, gently brush rolls with melted butter and milk. Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes (internal temperature of rolls will be 205°F (96°C) when tested with an instant-read thermometer). Remove from pans and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before serving. For softer Buttery Dinner Rolls, brush each with melted butter just after removing from oven.