Meatloaf with mushrooms
This meatloaf is certain to become a family favourite. Sliced leftovers make great sandwiches.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- cooking spray
- 15 ml (1 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 230 g (8 ounces mushrooms), chopped or sliced
- 250 ml (1 cups) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 7 ml (1½ teaspoons) thyme
- 375 ml (1½ cups) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old crusty French bread)
- 150 ml (²/³ cup) milk (whole,reduced fat, lowfat,or fat free)
- 2 large eggs
- 50 ml (¼ cup) tomato paste (unsalted if available)
- 1 Kg 2 pounds ground meatloaf mix (1 pounds [500 g] ground round, ½ pound [250 g] ground pork, ½ pound [250 g] ground veal)
- 50 ml (¼ cup) chopped fresh parsley
- 5 ml (1 teaspoons) kosher salt
- 1 ml (½ teaspoon) freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly coat a 9x5x3-inch (23 x 13 x 6 cm) loaf pans* with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch (30 cm) skillet over medium heat. When hot, add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook until mushrooms and onions are softened (onions will become translucent), about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place breadcrumbs, milk, eggs, and tomato paste in the Cuisinart™ mixing bowl. Insert flat mixing paddle. Turn to speed 3 and mix for 30 seconds. Add cooled mushroom/onion mixture, mix until combined, 15 to 20 seconds. Add ground meat, parsley, salt, and pepper. Continue to mix on speed 3 until well combined, about 45 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared loaf pans, rounding the top slightly. Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 1 hour; meatloaf is done when internal temperature is 170°F (77°C) when tested with an instant-read thermometer. Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before removing from pan slicing.
- *May also be formed into oval loaves and baked in a 13x9x2-inch (33 x 23 x 5 cm) roasting pan.