Butternut Squash and Leek Soup
Makes 5 cups (1.25 L)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) unsalted butter
- 5 ounces (145 g) leeks (about 2 medium), white and light green parts only, washed and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- 4 cups (1 L) butternut squash (about 1 medium squash),peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sherry or white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) kosher salt
- 3½ cups (875 ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- Place the butter in a 2-quart (1.9 L) sauté pan over medium-low heat. When the butter has melted, stir in the leeks and garlic and cook over low heat until very soft, about 10 minutes. Be careful not to pick up any colour on the vegetables.
- Once the leek/garlic mixture is soft, stir in the butternut squash. Increase the heat of the pan slightly and stir in the sherry. The sherry will evaporate immediately; when it does stir in the salt and chicken stock. Increase the heat and bring the soup to a boil. Once it comes to a boil turn the heat down so that the soup remains a constant simmer. After about 40 to 50 minutes the squash should be very soft. Carefully place ingredients into blender attachment jar. Place cover on jar. Turn stand mixer to speed 12. Blend until soup is completely homogenous, about 45 seconds. Adjust seasoning according to taste and serve immediately.