Asian Slaw with Peanut Dressing
Add cooked pasta and turn this salad into a meal. Makes 3/4 cups dressing.
Makes 6 cups Asian Slaw
- 1/4 cup toasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 slices of fresh ginger, peeled, each about the size of a quarter
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (regular or chunky)
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 4-6 red radishes (3 ounces), washed and trimmed
- 1 carrot (3 4 ounces), peeled, cut to fit the feed tube horizontally
- 1 small broccoli spear, washed, florets trimmed and reserved, stem peeled
- 2 green onions, trimmed, cut to fit feed tube
- 1 small (4 ounce) red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, quartered
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, quartered
- 6 ounces Napa cabbage, washed, cut to fit feed tube
- 6 ounces bok choy, washed, cut to fit feed tube (include leafy greens if tender)
- 3 ounces snow peas or sugar snap peas, trimmed and strings removed
- Insert the metal blade. Pulse to chop the peanuts, about 10 times. Remove and reserve. With the machine running, drop the garlic and ginger down the feed tube to chop, about 5 seconds. Scrape the work bowl; process 5 seconds longer. Add the peanut butter, sugar, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, and tamari. Process until smooth, about 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the work bowl.
- With the machine running, add the sesame oil in a steady stream through the feed tube; process until emulsified, about 10 to 15 seconds. Remove and reserve. The dressing may be made several days ahead. Cover well and refrigerate. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature before using. Clean the work bowl.
- Insert the shredding disc. Arrange the radishes in the feed tube, cut side down. Use medium pressure to shred. Arrange the carrots horizontally in the feed tube. Use medium pressure to shred. Insert the trimmed and peeled broccoli stem in the small feed tube; use medium pressure to shred. Transfer the shredded vegetables and reserved broccoli florets to a large bowl.
- Insert the slicing disc. Arrange the green onions in the small feed tube. Use light pressure to slice. Arrange the peppers in the large feed tube, cut side down; use medium pressure to slice. Arrange the Napa cabbage in the feed tube, cut side down. Use medium pressure to slice. Arrange the bok choy in the feed tube; use medium pressure to slice. Transfer the sliced vegetables to the bowl with the other vegetables. Add the snow peas and toss the vegetables to combine. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat well. Garnish with reserved chopped peanuts.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 125 (45% from fat) carb. 18g pro. 6g fat 9g sat. fat 1g chol. 0mg sod. 534mg fiber 3g
Preparation: 10 minutes plus 30 minutes resting time for the dressing; 10 15 minutes for the vegetables.
Note: You may turn this into an Asian pasta salad by doubling the dressing ingredients and adding cooked pasta (6 ounces dry, cooked according to package directions).