Lemon Basil Shrimp & Vegetables
Makes 4 servings
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces zucchini
- 2 red onions (3-4 ounces each)
- 16 shrimp (16-20 count size), peeled and deveined
- Place minced garlic, basil, salt, peppers, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whisk to blend. While whisking, add the oil in a slow steady stream; whisk until completely emulsified.
- Trim the zucchini and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the marinade and stir to coat. Peel the onions leaving the root intact. Cut each one in eighths - the intact root will hold the wedge together. Place in a bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the marinade and stir very gently to coat, taking care not to break apart the wedges.
- Dry the shrimp completely. Place in a bowl with the remaining marinade and toss to coat. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Soak four 10-inch wooden skewers in water while the shrimp and vegetables marinate.
- Preheat the Cuisinart™ Griddler in the open grill position to 400°F. Thread 4 shrimp on each skewer, putting the skewer through both the head and tail ends of the shrimp.
- When Griddler is hot, arrange the zucchini rounds on one side of the grill and the onions on the second side. Grill for 5 minutes, turn and grill 5 minutes longer. Move the grilled onion wedges to the zucchini side of the grill, on top of the zucchini. Arrange the 4 skewers of shrimp on the empty side of the grill. Grill for 2-1/2 minutes on each side, then turn the skewers so that the deveined edge of the shrimp is on the grill; grill for an additional 30 seconds.
- Transfer the grilled shrimp, zucchini, and onions to a serving platter or 4 individual plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
calories 98 (68% from fat) • carb 1g • protein 6g • fat 7g • sat fat 2g • chol 214mg • sod 174mg • calc 25mg • fiber 0g
Cook's Tip: When grilling shrimp, they have a much better texture after a short period of brining. To brine the shrimp, place 1 tablespoon each kosher salt and brown sugar in a medium bowl and add one cup boiling water. Stir until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Add 12 ice cubes and 1cup cold water; stir until brine is cold. When cold, add shrimp and brine the shrimp for 30 -60 minutes in the refrigerator.