Cajun Pork Roast
Full of flavour, but not too spicy hot. Thinly sliced leftovers are great in sandwiches or a salad.
Makes 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf, roughly broken
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced dry onions
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 - 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3 to 3-1/2 pound boneless pork loin roast, tied - about 12-inches in length
- Place the paprika, salt, sugar, bay leaf, garlic powder, dried onions, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, and allspice in a Cuisinart® Mini-Prep® Processor. Process until the mixture is finely ground and no traces of bay leaf remain. Transfer to a jar with a tight fitting lid for storage.
- Rub the tied roast with 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of Cajun Spice Rub. Lightly coat rack of broiler pan of Cuisinart® Toaster Oven Broiler with cooking spray. Arrange seasoned roast on rack. (The roast may be seasoned up to a day ahead. Wrap loosely in waxed paper and store in coolest part of refrigerator on a plate until ready to use. Allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature before roasting.)
- Place rack in Cuisinart® Convection Toaster Oven Broiler in Position A and preheat oven to 400°F on Convection Bake Setting. Arrange the rack in the drip pan in the upper most position and coat lightly with cooking spray. Center the roast on the rack and roast in the preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 325°F and continue roasting for an additional 35 - 45 minutes, until the temperature when tested in the center of the roast is 155 - 160°F. Turn off the oven, transfer the roast to a warm platter, and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice roast as preferred in 1/4-inch or thinner slices. Cover and refrigerate all leftovers.
- If your Cuisnart® Toaster Oven Broiler does not have the Convection setting, use Bake setting. Follow the above directions and increase the cooking time to 55 - 65 minutes. Cook the roast until the internal temperature measures 155°F when tested with an instant read thermometer; let the roast stand, loosely covered for 15 minutes before slicing, and the temperature will continue to rise to 160°.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6-ounce):
calories 221(30% from fat) • carb 1g • protein 36g • fat 7g • sat fat 3g • chol 86mg • sod 210mg • fiber 0g