Chocolate Mousse and Almond Brownies
For chocolate lovers only.
Makes 16 brownies
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 8 - 10 wafer cookies between two layers of waxed paper. Flatten with rolling pin to produce crumbs. Repeat with remaining cookies. You should have about 1-1/2 cups wafer cookie crumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix wafer crumbs with melted butter. Press into an ungreased 8-inch square pan. Bake until set, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Combine whipping cream and chocolate in a Cuisinart® Stick Free 2-quart saucepan. Place over low heat and stir frequently with a wooden spoon until chocolate is melted, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Place eggs, sugar, almond extract and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a Cuisinart® SmartPower™ 7-Speed Hand Mixer, beat on Speed 5 until mixture is thick and foamy, about 2 minutes. Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture and mix on Speed 1 until just blended. Add chocolate chips and almonds; gently fold into batter on Speed 1.
- Pour batter over baked chocolate wafers. Bake in same oven until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 - 45 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes, then refrigerate for 2 hours. Cut into 16 brownies and carefully remove from pan.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
calories 98 (68% from fat) • carb 1g • protein 6g • fat 7g • sat fat 2g • chol 214mg • sod 174mg • calc 25mg • fiber 0g
Note: To appreciate the soft mousse and firm crust textures, chill before serving.
This recipe was prepared using the following Cuisinart® product:
SmartPower™ 7-Speed Hand Mixer