Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Spread
There is no such thing as too much garlic when it is roasted.
Makes 1-3/4 cups (435ml)
- 1-1/2 large heads of garlic (entire bulb), cloves peeled
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/3 cups (350ml) lowfat sour cream
- 1 medium scallion, trimmed, cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces
- 1/3 cup (85ml) roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5ml) freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Toss the peeled garlic cloves in the olive oil and wrap in foil. Set on middle oven rack and roast for 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool.
- Insert the metal blade. Purée the cooled garlic, 20 seconds. Scrape work bowl. Add remaining ingredients and process for 10 - 15 seconds. Scrape work bowl and process until smooth, about 10 seconds longer. Let sit in refrigerator to develop flavour, about 1 hour. Serve with crudités or breadsticks.
Nutritional analysis per tablespoon (15ml):
Calories 30 (60% from fat) • carbo. 2mg • pro. 1g • fat 2g sat. fat 1g • chol. 5mg • sod. 12mg • fiber 0g
Preparation: 5 - 10 minutes, plus 1 hour to roast the garlic and 1 hour resting time.