Apple Almond Tart
You will look like a professional when you prepare this tart using your Cuisinart® DLC-2014C PowerPrep Plus.
Makes 8 to 12 servings
- For the pastry crust:
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into 4 pieces
- For filling:
- 2 tart apples, peeled, halved, cored
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 cups blanched slivered almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or brandy, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- Make the pastry crust:
Stir egg yolks and water in small bowl to blend. Place flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in the Cuisinart® DLC-2014C PowerPrep Plus™ Food Processor, pulse 5 times to combine and sift. Add butter and shortening; pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal and no pieces of butter are larger than small peas. Drizzle the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture. Process until large moist dough clumps form, about 10 seconds. Do not over process and allow dough to form a ball completely. Gather dough into ball; flatten into a 6-inch disk. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled. Let soften slightly before rolling out.) Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 14-inch round. Place dough in a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Fold overhang in and press, forming double-thick sides. Chill while preparing filling.
- Make filling:
Insert the 4 mm slicing disc. Arrange 2 apple halves in the large feed tube; slice using medium light pressure, repeat with the remaining apple. Toss gently with the lemon juice and one tablespoon of the sugar, taking care not to break the apple slices. Reserve. Wipe the work bowl dry with a paper towel and insert the metal blade. Combine almonds and 3/4 cup of the sugar with the almonds; process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 30 - 40 seconds. Add the eggs, 1 tablespoon of the Amaretto/brandy, vanilla, and salt in to the almond mixture. Process until a soft paste forms. Add 4 tablespoons of the butter; process 10 seconds to blend. Spread in crust. Chill until firm, about 30 - 40 minutes.
- About 20 minutes before baking arrange the oven rack so that it is in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain apples; arrange overlapping in concentric circles atop filling. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; brush over apples. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar. Bake tart 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake until apples are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and allow tart to cool slightly. Stir preserves and 1 tablespoon Amaretto/brandy in small saucepan over low heat until preserves melt. Strain into small bowl; brush over apples, taking care not to brush any on the metal tart form. Cool completely. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Remove tart form before serving. Serve with softly whipped cream if desired.
Nutritional analysis per serving (based on 12 servings):
calories 98 (68% from fat) • carb 1g • protein 6g • fat 7g • sat fat 2g • chol 214mg • sod 174mg • calc 25mg • fiber 0g