Makes about fourteen 1/2-cup servings
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-1/2 pounds cantaloupe cubes
- 2/3 cup tangerine or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Place sugar and water in a 1-1/2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat to medium and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved to make a simple syrup -- you will have 11/4 cups simple syrup. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely.
- Place the melon cubes in a food processor fitted with the metal "s" blade.
- Pulse to chop, then process until completely puréed -- you will have about 6 cups cantaloupe purée. Stir in the tangerine juice, corn syrup and cooled simple syrup. Cover and chill for 2 hours or longer.
- Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft, slushy texture, similar to a freshly scooped Italian ice. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 81 (3% from fat) • carb 20g • pro 1g • fat 0g • sat fat 0g • chol 0mg • sod 8mg • calc 10mg • fiber 1g